Pages

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Consignment season

I have been browsing a website that tells me every consignment sale in my area. It is brimming with options and spread throughout a two month period of time. I have my favorites but I almost always feel like I am missing some great deal if I don't go to every one that peaks an interest. Financially I cannot go to everyone but the flip of that coin is that financially I cannot afford NOT to go to at least one. I always get amazing deals and I always buy things we didn't need. This is when my husbands voice starts to be heard in my head. "So are we really saving if you are just buying stuff??"

What about you? Do you love to get a good deal? Are you a Savvy Shopper? Can you buy something if it isn't on sale? I know that there will always be a deal and there will always be people who buy but do I always need to be that person?? Here I sit contemplating what my weekend will look like because of this overflow of deals flooding my county.

It makes me feel better to let you in on some of this deal getting so here is that great website I mentioned. You can just pick your state. The Bargain Watcher

2 comments:

Pamela said...

yes!! i'm a bargain shopper too. i miss consignment sales. i gotta make it to some this summer when i'm home. anyways, being a marketing person and all, i know all the tricks in marketing and therefore prevent myself from falling into the traps of buying and buying and buying just because its a good deal.

what i've figured out to be the BEST and easiest way not to fall into the consumer trap is lists. make a list of all what you want to buy for your family. then cut it down to what you really need (usually cuts it by half at least!)...then take this list to the sales with you and force yourself to ONLY buy what is on the list. resist the temptation to buy that extra stuff just because its an amazing deal. also, to make it even more effective, sit with your husband and the list and decide what the total budget for the list should be (one you will stick to!) and even how much you are willing to pay for each item if they are bigger price items. this will help so much!

i suffer from this a lot b/c in egypt GOODS/stuff is really expensive and labor is cheap and in the US labor is expensive and goods are cheap...so when i go home, i want to buy everything...so this past christmas trip, i made a list, cut it down, set the budget with rany, and then priced each item...and still i didn't buy everything on the list...but i walked away much closer to the budget and with not as full of suitcases, but with what i needed.

with every year more sales will come and we will still suffer from having too much in our closets and houses and have to giveaway stuff every year ourselves, but this is a really good first step in making sure that you aren't overspending.

just a little friendly advice from a fellow deal-chaser:)

livinginbetween said...

You sound like my sis -- she always gets good deals (like $6 shoes for a wedding we're in), but I'm much more impatient and buy what I like if it's a decent price ($30 shoes seemed a good deal until she found hers!). However, I have started following the Bargain Shopper Lady. You might like that sight -- coupons and such.